An Introduction to Virtual Water


The concept of ‘virtual water’ is one I was introduced to during my first year of my undergraduate degree. It refers to the volume of water required to produce commodities, both agricultural and non-agricultural (Allan 2003), and is used in the context of connecting water, food and trade as a global economic process.

I wanted to use this post as an introduction to the concept, aided by the two videos below.

The first offers a visualisation of the water embedded in products we use in our lives on a daily basis. This is especially important in the context of raising awareness to facilitate positive action in reducing our water footprint.   

The second video offers further detail on this, whilst also considering the different types of water, referred to as ‘flavours’, that must be considered when discussing the trade of water.





I’ll be exploring the idea of ‘virtual water’ in greater detail next week. Until then, I’d suggest holding onto any questions for my following post where I look forward to answering them! 

Comments