Identifying the Challenges


Though I have thoroughly enjoyed this journey exploring the issue of food and water in Africa, this will be my final post. As such, I wanted to reflect on some of the topics I spoke of with the hope, that by the end of this entry, I will have clearly outlined my thoughts on the challenges facing Africa in the pursuit of food and water security.

I started this blog by referencing a satirical article that highlighted the false portrayal of a homogenous Africa throughout various discourses, using evidence of the diverse climatic and physical settings across the continent to demonstrate this.
My next post looked at some of the key water metrics that exist in the literature in an attempt to stress the importance of at least recognising that differences in levels of [in]security exist.

These posts draw attention to the first challenge: preconceived notions of Africa.

My blog then progressed to introduce the idea of groundwater irrigation. Within this post I spoke of the huge potential it offers to areas reliant upon rain-fed agriculture in the face of a changing climate. However, I also presented some of the dangers of excessive groundwater irrigation, namely the potential for environmental degradation.
In the following weeks, I examined the value of indigenous knowledge to discussions regarding food and water security, showing that, in most cases, it is either considered to be ‘inferior’ or directly opposed to the ‘modern’ approaches advocated by world leaders. The cases of small-scale farmers in Malawi and Zimbabwe offered an alternative to this, progressing into a conversation of the risks of romanticising indigenous knowledge.

Reflecting on these posts leads me the second challenge: accepting ‘alternative’ options. 


The introduction of the virtual water concept followed with a focus on the trade of ‘water-intensive’ commodities by countries facing water stress. I argued that virtual water trade could be part of the solution for areas faced with the problems of over-exploitation because of high consumer demands or limited resource availability. However, I warned that dependency on trade should be avoided, and an appreciation of the role of water in all aspects of our lives must be integrated into management policies. 

My penultimate post investigated the varying capacities for cooperation and conflict over shared resources on the international and domestic stage, using the example of the Nile Basin.
For my concluding entry, I concentrated on a case study of Sudan and South Sudan where I underlined the significance of failures in government in perpetuating food insecurity. These countries are faced with the very real threat of famine, not because of a limiting climate, but rather due to widespread inequalities caused by a devastating war.

These final series of posts are connected by the final challenge: asymmetrical power relations.  

To summarise, I think the best option to pursue a goal of food and water security across different parts of Africa must consider the above challenges. The challenge of ‘preconceived notions’ is one that I myself have struggled with throughout this blog. On many occasions I have found myself pausing to avoid making sweeping generalisations, and this has really helped me reflect on how limited we are in expressing our ideas if we do so. Taking on the second challenge is contingent on a balanced understanding of the benefits and pitfalls associated with adopting these ‘alternative’ options which may otherwise be considered irrelevant to discussions of resource security. Whilst I think the first challenge is the most difficult to overcome from the perspective of someone reviewing the literature or contributing to an essay, I would argue the final challenge is the most significant because of the scale of its impact. This is a challenge deeply embedded in colonial policies and international politics and can only be tackled through a collaborative approach that involves all the relevant actors, ranging from the state leader and senior figures of private corporations all the way down to the small-scale farmer.

Having come to the end of this blog, I can happily say that I have developed a much more balanced understanding of the complex relationship between food and water in Africa and I hope I have provided a space to facilitate a similar growth for you!

Thank you for following along over the last few months!

Labib.

Comments